Monday 14 March 2011

How To Yarn Bomb

I get asked all the time "How do you yarn bomb exactly?" So here's a How To guide on yarn bombing. This is just from my personal experience. Everyone does it differently. Everyone needs to find their own flow. Also keep in mind that I only crochet my yarn bombs. Yes I knit but very very rarely. Crochet is my ultimate craft so I only refer to crocheting yarn bombs not knitting them. Also forgive my wordiness. I like to write a lot.
 
1. Start easy!
We all get carried away and want to do something but like the famous pink tanker or even a tree but starting small is much better.
 
Start with something small like a small pole piece or a granny square and then you'd be done in no time and won't be discouraged with such a large time consuming project.
 
2. Make your yarn bomb tight
Don't subject yourself to watching your tag slide off your object because it's too big. Make your tags smaller than your object and stretch the piece so it hugs the object tightly. Example: if your pole is 18cm around, generally go for around 16cm around.
 
3. Pick a pattern that's quick to work up. Try harder ones next time.
When first getting into yarn bombing, pick an easy pattern for your tag. For crocheting, I like to do a row of DC and a row of TR because this works up quite quickly. Using patterns that work up quickly will again help you from becoming discouraged with the process of making a tag. Once you have this down pat, you can move on to some more complicated pattern pieces.
 
SIMPLE:
 

 MORE COMPLICATED:
 
 
4. To sew or to tie?
To sew your tag or to cable tie your tag... Different people will say different things and it's also different depending on your tag and what object you're attaching it to.
 
If using only cable ties, you run the risk of the piece not looking neat and tidy.


If using only sewing, you run the risk of the piece not staying tied securely to the object.


Sewing a tag onto a horizontal object like a banister is fine as it will generally stay well. If tagging, say a pole, I like to sew the tag but also but a cable tie at the top of the pole and middle, just for added security.
 
Keep in mind - sewing takes a long time. If you have a piece that you need to run and dash - use cable ties. If you're able to stand around for a bit then sewing is fine.
 
TIP: If sewing a long piece, attach yarn at every third of the way along. Once you've sewn and reached the new piece of yarn, use that one and carry along to the next third. Using one long piece of yarn for the whole piece is irritating. The yarn can become tangled and it's very hard to keep it looking nice the whole way along.
 
5. Pre-planner or not? Find your yarn bombing location now or later.
Are you a pre-planner? Another part of yarn bombing is working out what type of person you are with your planning. Are you someone that wants to plan everything before hand. Do you go out and measure your work and then plan the sort of yarn bomb you want? Or will you just go with the flow and work something up and hope you can find an object that will fit the tag?
 
Personally, I'm a bit of both but more of a planner. Sometimes I'll just make something and hope it fits but more of the time, I like to make up projects or ideas and plan everything and follow it through to the end. I like to measure the object, work out how much yarn I'll need, work out what colors I'll make it and then work on it until the end.
 
6. Yarn bombing in the light or dark?

Are you game enough to yarn bomb in the day or will you put on your blacks and slink around in the dark? Suss out what your area is like. Will someone bother you if you're tagging in the day? Are you likely to be pulled over by the council or the police? What do you feel more safe doing? Do you want to go it alone or would you rather take a friend or another fellow yarn bomber. Personally I've found safety in numbers. It's easier to pull the "It's for a community art project" line if you're with a bunch of people. Try and rope someone in with you, even if all they do is take photos of you and keep a watch out.
 
7. Anonymous or not? Leave a tag or not?
Some yarn bombers prefer to remain anonymous and not leave a "calling card" and some love to know that a supporter can find out who is leaving wonderful tags around. Cards or labels can be bought over the internet or made at home. I make mine on the Vistaprint website and have them shipped to me. Before putting on a tag, I usually laminate them to protect them from the rain.

8. Taking photo's is a must!
Be prepared to know that your tag might not last a long time - therefore photos are a must! Try to get them straight after you've put them up otherwise if you say to yourself "I'll come back later and photograph them", you might come back later to an empty spot. Take several shots with varying angles and set up's. People love to see lots of photos of your handy work.

9. Blog your work.
Blogging about your yarn bombing is fun. It also provides people a chance to comment on what you've been doing. Also don't just blog about the end result of yarn bombing. People like to see your work's in progress as you go along, and then the eventual yarn bombing expedition.
 
I hope this helps a bit. Try yarn bombing once and then you'll be hooked. Give it a go! It's awesome fun.

More helpful links:
What You'll Need To Take When Yarn Bombing
Things To Remember About Yarn Bombing
Ideas For Yarn Bombs To Make

Luv Bali.

P.S. Feel free to repost or link this to other blogs/sites etc.

48 comments:

  1. love it love it love it!!! really like the granny squares, and i think that i will make a few for halloween this coming yea, in a light grey OR glow in the darl with dc or trc (u.s.) and make put a spider on a granny square web...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spider on a granny square would be awesome.
    Aww I really wanna see some glow in the dark yarn. We can't get it here in Australia. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this :) i cant wait to try it here!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks darlin', great write up, love your work! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great blog. Keep up the good work of making Melbourne a 'brighter' place to live.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. sad about albion/melville disappearing, that was lighting up my tram stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know but not everything lasts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started bombing in my home town. I first learned about it from a local yarn shop. Seemed like no one had wanted to take that first step, so I went ahead and just did it. It is such a blast. I love all the comments I get about yarn bombing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome that you just started. Keep at it! It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for joining Spun Graffiti, I hope our facebook group will avidly explore your work and enjoy sharing our journeys. I have enjoyed your blog, keep bombing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent article! and I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What size hook do you usually use for poles or banisters? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What type of yarn do you recommend? Acrylic? I live in Austin where it's hot and prone to mold. I'll be blogging about this maybe later tomorrow and will link your post for sure! Thanks for your how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I love your blog. I was wondering what the "more complicated" stitch is called. Making a gift and would like to use it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there Laines. Thanks for the comment. I update my facebook more than the blog. Check it out of you want: facebook.com/twilighttaggers. The more complicated stitch is a fan stitch from the Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques which you can buy off amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool piece. I was curious as to how people executed a yarn bombing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like fun haven't yarn bommed yet but i am planing to!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your help in my first yarn bombing.... It was a success. I did try to email you pictures but the email came back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yarn bombing... Seems strange but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone... Or destroy properties or anything...

    Well, I hope you know that some find it terribly strange and not smart at all. But I guess you'll keep on doing it untill it becomes illegal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People didn't like the Impressionists at first either. ;-)

      Delete
  24. I think it's cool for photographs but when you yarn bomb outside it only takes a little bit of weather then it's ugly and dirty what a waste. I know so many people who could use afghans and when I look at the pictures of the bus and stuff I think how wasteful to use all that yarn when there are people with cancer, soldiers in war, homeless child who could use blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't think adding beauty and uniqueness on the landscape is wasteful. it spreads joy. joy is good.

      Delete
    2. Amen. The poor you will always have with you. Maybe never go to disney because someone else is hungry or can't get to dr's office. Don't buy an expensive coat, someone doesn't have one.... the list goes on... live a little. I might spend some $$ on yarn (cheap stuff for bombing) but no one has no idea of how much I gave to charity last yr and It was a good portion of my income.

      Delete
    3. Using yarn as an art supply is no more wasteful than using paint or clay. That being said, I crochet for charity and street art. If you want to spend your time (15+ hours), money (lots!), and energy on crocheting a blanket for a person who is homeless, I give free crochet lessons via Skype.

      Delete
    4. It's also funny... in the bible.. there were 2 people mentioned that said something could have been sold and used for the poor, a pious attitude... a Pharisee and Judas Iscariot.

      Delete
  25. Do you have a pattern for the more complicated blue park bench seat cover. It's lovely and I know just where that would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Will the yarn slip when it rains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better_than_you_bitches24 November 2013 at 09:37

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. the_yarnover_ninja24 November 2013 at 09:38

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  27. I appreciate you for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed to read this amazing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is sooooo cool!!! I am only 12 and am atempting my first yarn bomb soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better_thn_you_bitches24 November 2013 at 09:40

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  29. I love it! I told some of my favorite downtown shops about it and showed them your pictures. They got really excited too. I hope that they do it. It inspired me so I started making Yarn Bombed Jewelry. Antlers to be exact. I am giving away a Yarn Bombed Antler Necklace on my blog at http://www.amarmielife.com/2013/12/a-big-giveaway-for-new-marmie.html. It's easy to enter to win! Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Bali,

    I love this idea and am excited to try it out. I think I will attempt items in my own yard first and then spread out.
    Do you have a recommendation for what types of yarn/brands of yarn, hook size to use?

    Thanks!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Appreciate the article as i would like to start yarn bombing.
    I am still confused with the idea to yarn bomb trees or so. I am not sur that covering a tree trunk with yarn is good for the tree itself. Anyway there are so much other possibilities.

    Anonymous or not... i don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yarn bombing sounds awesome! I will totally try it! One question: how exactly do people get rid of your yarn bomb? Do they just cut it out and throw it away? (That would be really sad...)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Say I want to leave a scarf on a statue, is this allowed or do I have to contact someone in the city for approval first? I'm in a small country type city and no one here really does yarn bombing and I really want to start! Any advice for a first timer would be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete