Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Yarn Corner Member Profile - Jaguar

I decided I wanted to showcase the wonderful members of Yarn Corner. I formed the yarn bombing collective at the end of May 2011 and it's quickly grown to well over 200 brilliant members. It can sometimes take a lot to manage them all and that's why I brought on side a wonderful team of admins to help me. So we'll start with profiling them and then get onto the other lovely people of YC.

Name: Jaguar
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jazzy-Jaguar/158354980927834

1. How long have you been yarn bombing? How did you start?
I started yarn bombing in Aug 2011 after seeing Pebble upload a picture on Facebook of her first Yarn bomb. I had never heard of it before but I was immediately hooked (no pun intended) and within a week I had built up the courage to go out and do my first piece

2. Why do you think yarn bombing has become so big?
I think Yarn bombing has become bigger now due to the fact that it is altering people's perception on hand crafted items. In my experience knitting/crochet are seen to be old-fashioned and uncool but Yarn bombing is helping to put and younger and fresh vibe on it.

3. How long have you been an admin for Yarn Corner? Do you like it?
I have only been an Admin member at Yarn Corner since January this year but I love it.It is very rewarding when you are involved with the co-ordination of projects and then you see it all come together like City Square.
4. Have you always been a crafty person?
I have always been rather crafty, my mother taught me to knit when I was about 8 and all my Auntie's are crafty also so I had a lot of support when I was learning.  As  a child I enjoyed doing Latch hook and Cross stitch projects and I despised crochet because I just couldn't get it needless to say Crochet is now all I do having re-taught myself this past year :)

5. What do you think yarn bombing in Australia has been like so far?
Until recently I didn't think it was very big within Australia but I have noticed it growing and it is wonderful when you travel around the country and see other yarn bombers pieces

6. What can be frustrating about yarn bombing?
The most frustrating thing for me is when your piece is removed by councils or enforcement officers. The first thing you learn is that once your piece is up, it is there for the taking and some last moments and others last a lot longer but it does frustrate me when they are removed before the community can even enjoy them.

7. How do you think yarn bombing differs from normal art?
I believe 'normal' art is all about interpretation and you will always have people who just don't 'get it' or understand what the artist is trying to convey but with yarn bombing it is about beauty, you don't have to 'understand' it or discuss what the artist is trying to say. If it made you smile or at least drew your attention for a moment to an object you would have otherwise walked straight past, Then the yarnbomb achieved it's purpose.

8. Do you think yarn bombers get a bad rap?
I think again to those people who don't understand why we yarn bomb ( and I guess each artist does it for different reasons) then yes we are given a 'bad rap' and put into the 'graffitti' group or told we are littering,  but ask anyone to compare the two and we are worlds apart. We aren't there to de-face or lay claim to an object we are simply trying to make it prettier and for the public to notice these objects rather than continue on your way oblivious to the world around them.

9. What does your husband think about your yarn bombing?
He thought I was mad in the beginning (again because he couldn't understand why) but he soon changed his mind when he saw just how happy it made me to create something and then put it out there for the world to see and appreciate. He is now my advisor always informing me of new locations to bomb and giving me inspiration from a males perspective 

10. How much of your life is taken up by yarn bombing?
Yarn bombing is always on my mind whether it be a piece I am currently working on, when I'm out and about seeing potential sites/ideas, admiring pics of other artists works or just talking about it with family and friends.

11. What do you see the future of yarn bombing being like?
My vision for Yarn bombing in the future would be for it to be more widely accepted by councils and even promoted as it is already by some. I would love for it to be endorsed within our schools so that future generations have access to and are able to be taught how to knit/crochet just like I was taught as a child.
 
12. Who is your fave yarn bombing artist?
I don't have a favourite artist but Bali and the members of Yarn Corner continually inspire me to aim bigger and better. Let's reach for the stars!! (OH the first yarn bomb in outer space)....see what Yarn bombing does to you! Lol 


3 comments:

  1. Love seeing the Yarn Corner folks profiled. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story Jaguar, wonderful that you have hubby interested too. Yarn Bombing is so much fun.

      Delete
  2. thank you for story.you are now Bookmarked in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Crochetblogger started it.

    ReplyDelete